5.16.2011

Summer Plans

It's weird for me to be discussing summer plans without having anything set. For the first time I suppose I have to be a grown up and take care of business. I've been trying to do that for the past two days. While productivity has been fantastic, I'm ready to do something more summery.

So I went to the library today. Now, I despise this town, but it has the greatest public library ever. When I move elsewhere it will have to be somewhere with an incredible public library! In an attempt to be a grown up college graduate, I ventured into the adult fiction section (after selecting a book from the teen section...baby steps) and couldn't find anything to my liking until I came across something I've heard of but never read: The Phantom of the Opera. Then I started thinking...where is Les Mis?!

Therefore, my newest goal has been realized. I am going to attempt to read every novel which inspired a Broadway musical or which was written after the musical was created. Fortunately I have a head start on this. I read Wicked two years ago. Did I enjoy it? Not actually. It took me forever to make it through that one. The musical is definitely much better than the novel it's based off of. Today I picked up Phantom and Les Mis and will work my way through these over the next few weeks. I think the next one will be the Brothers Grimm version of Beauty and the Beast. Obviously this will not be the version seen in the Disney film which is the version adapted for the stage, but I will not let it stand in the way of my goal!

Apparently our library doesn't have the fairy tales on the shelf, so I may have to choose something else in the meantime, but I'll keep you posted on my quest to accomplish this goal. Perhaps I'll try some nonfiction on the murderesses that inspired Chicago.

Witticism of the Day: Broadening your horizons is essential sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment